Qualification to the double diploma programme with JGU is conditional and depends on the fact if the candidate will be accepted to full time master studies in Polish on "Zarządzanie" [Management] from the next academic year. All double degree candidates must provide evidence of a satisfactory level of language proficiency according to the requirements of the Common European Framework (CEF): students from SGH as their home institution: English B2 (or higher) if they choose the master’s program “International Economics and Public Policy” at JGU.
The Master Double Diploma Programme between Warsaw School of Economics and Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz has been established in 2012 and is offered for students of both universities studying in the following programmes:
- Zarządzanie (management in Polish) at SGH
- Finanse i rachunkowość (finance and accounting in Polish) at SGH
- International Economics and Public Policy (in English) at JGU
- Management (in German) at JGU.
Please note: although the double degree is offered on majors originally taught in Polish (free of charge) students of the DD study the whole programme in English. The cadidates to the programme have to, however, meet the recruitment criteria for the studies in Polish. Students can combine different majors within which they will obtain double degree, i.e. students of zarządzanie (management) at SGH can either study Management (in German) or International Economics and Public Policy (in English) at JGU.
- The intended period of study for the double degree programme shall be two years (4 semesters). Double degree students will spend their first year at JGU, the second year at SGH. Full information should be provided to the host institution on the courses that the participants have taken at their home institution and vice versa. The grades of the different grading systems will be converted according to the table displayed in Annex I. In case of failure in an exam at JGU a second chance will be provided during the same semester. In case of failure in an exam for the second time, a third chance will be offered one year later.
- Double degree students shall have access to courses and enjoy the same rights and privileges and – with the exception of the course requirements specific to the double degree programme that are detailed in this agreement – be subject to the same rules and regulations as the regular graduate students in the corresponding Masters study track of the host institution.
- In addition, Students admitted for the double degree programme shall complete the modules offered at SGH and JGU following a scheme laid out in Attachment II for students of Major Finance and Accounting at SGH or in Attachment III for students of Major Management at SGH.
- In addition to the mandatory coursework at both institutions, as set forth in the agreement, the double degree student is required to write a Master’s Thesis. The Master’ Thesis is worth 20 ECTS at SGH. The Master’s Thesis combined with a Colloquium is worth 30 ECTS at JGU. The partner institutions assure the legal and organisational pre-conditions required for enabling the double degree students to start with the Master Thesis in their second study year.
- The Master’s Thesis shall be supervised by one supervisor and marked (graded) by a reviewer. The double degree students shall choose one supervisor from either institution, the reviewer will be selected from the partner institution respectively. The language of the Master’s Thesis is English or German on request of the student.
- Part of the completion of the Master’s Thesis is a defence of the thesis (at the JGU called: Research Colloquium). Members of the host institution are invited to attend the defence. In preparation of the defence the double degree student has to write a thesis summary in English. The defence will be conducted in English or in German on request of the student.
- The management process of the preparation of the Master’s Thesis should meet all the legal and academic constraints of the institution at which a student writes and defends the Master’s Thesis.
Conditions for obtaining the double degree
The double degree shall only be awarded after the student has completed the programme by fulfilling the following requirements:
DD students from JGU and SGH:
- 1st year at JGU: the award of at least 60 ECTS credit points equivalent to the regulations constituted in this agreement,
- 2nd year at SGH: the award of at least 42 ECTS for the courses in the Management field of study equivalent to the regulations constituted in this agreement and completion of Master Thesis (25 ECTS) and Colloquium (5 ECTS) at JGU or Master’s Thesis at SGH (20 ECTS) plus internship (only for all students of the “Management” field of study, 3 ECTS can only be credited at SGH)
The double degree student shall be awarded both the academic degree: of the home institution and the corresponding academic degree of the host institution. Upon completion of the double degree programme requirements, the student shall receive:
- diplomas of both universities,
- two grade transcripts and,
- two diploma supplements.
Each institution shall issue only one diploma and corresponding transcripts of grades for the part of the double degree it is accountable for. The diploma supplement shall provide detailed information on the nature, regulations, grades and credit transfer mechanisms of the double degree programme.
Selection and documents
- Candidates for the double degree programme are to be selected by their home institution according to the selection criteria jointly defined and agreed upon by SGH and JGU. Due to the higher workload compared to the ordinary Masters study tracks at the partner institutions, only highly qualified students shall be selected for the double degree programme. Each institution has the right to admit up to 5 students per year to the double degree programme (balanced each three years), unless this number is varied by a mutual and written attachment to this agreement.
- The double degree candidates must satisfy all admission requirements of the host institution, including language proficiency requirements and good knowledge on Bachelor level of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Statistics. All double degree candidates must provide evidence of a satisfactory level of language proficiency according to the requirements of the Common European Framework (CEF):
- students from SGH as their home institution:
- German B2 (or higher) as well as English B1 (or higher) if they choose the master’s program “Management” at JGU Mainz. Students who choose the master’s program “Management” at JGU Mainz will have to proof German language skills at level C1 (DSH-2) within a year after starting their study at JGU Mainz. The students are therefore recommended to visit German language courses at JGU Mainz.
- students from JGU as their home institution – equivalent to English B2 a score of 87 points (or higher) in the internet based TOEFL test
- students from SGH as their home institution:
- Each institution reserves the right to require double degree candidates to complete the standard enrolment documents and to provide the results of any required entrance examinations.
- The host institution has the right to not accept a double degree candidate from the home institution for academic rationales or any other substantial reasons.
Documents required from SGH students include (filled in English):
- Application form – filled in on computer not by hand [application for certain academic year is always published on DD's website during the application period]
- CV of the Applicant in the Europass format (document available at the following website http://europass.frse.org.pl/europass-cv in English – max. 1 page)
- Motivation letter (in English – max. 1 page)
- Copy of the BA diploma [if available]
- Official course transcript (issued by the Dean's Office) with grades received incl. the courses not yet finished
- Document certifying fluency in English (either SGH competence test or commercial language certificate or diploma of graduating from secondary school or studies in foreign language). The list of recognised certificates can be found on the website of double degrees
- First draft of the study programme based on the plan of studies of the double degree (preferred field of study/study path, list of academic interests, etc.)
Application procedures to apply to JGU are described on the website of the partner.