Qualification to the double diploma programme with TU Berlin is conditional and depends on the fact if the candidate will be accepted to full time master studies in Polish on "Zarządzanie" [Management] from the next academic year. All double degree candidates must provide evidence of a satisfactory level of language proficiency according to the requirements of the given programme [details below].
Master Double Diploma Programme between Warsaw School of Economics and Technische Universität Berlin has been established in 2014 on the basis of masters programmes offered by both universities:
- Zarządzanie (Management in Polish) at SGH and
- Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship at TUB.
The aim is to enable TUB students and students of SGH to receive degrees of both universities. The students receive a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in “Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship” (IME) from TUB and a Magister degree in "Zarządzanie" (Management) from SGH. This is based on the principle that the participating students have to fulfill the requirements of both study programs.
TUB is particularly specialized scientific institution in the field of innovation management. TUB is co-founder and main pillar of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), a new initiative of the European Union aimed at creating a European scientific organization resembling American MIT. DD students will have the opportunity to apply to the 5-week summer school on the entrepreneurial climate in three European locations (e.g. Berlin, Paris, London). The summer school is organized and financed entirely by the EIT. For some students, there is also the possibility of obtaining a certificate of the EIT.
Offered by TUB program "Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship" ranks among the best masters programs in management in German-speaking countries, according to the prestigious CHE ranking . Every year hundreds of candidates apply to about 35 seats in the program.
- Period of study: The standard period of study is two years (four semesters).
- Required credits: Students are required to gather 120 ECTS to receive the degree from TUB and to gather 120 ECTS to receive the degree from SGH. Usually, 60 ECTS are taken from TUB in the first year and at least 60 ECTS from SGH in the second year.
- Students shall complete the modules offered at SGH and TUB following a scheme laid out in the Annex I for students of major Management at SGH and Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship at TUB. The changes to the plan of study shall be updated in annexes to the agreement. Any deviations from the study structure as stated in the agreement shall be approved jointly by the partner institutions by mutual written agreement on an individual case-by-case basis.
- Course overlap: The content of courses attended at both institutions might slightly overlap.
- Host country language: Students are encouraged to acquire basic skills in the language of the host country. The language of instruction at both institutions is English.
- The master thesis combined with a defense counts for 20 ECTS. The master thesis is expected to be written in the 3rd and 4th semester of the program and defended by the dual degree students at SGH. It must be written in English on a topic in the student's specialization area. It must be accepted by both supervisor and reviewer.
- The master thesis is graded by respective examination diploma boards of SGH and TUB based on the grades of the SGH and TUB advisors and according to the respective regulations. The SGH and TUB strive for a joint examination board.
- Student supervision – Students will have a supervisor at SGH and a reviewer at TUB. At the beginning of the second year the student chooses the supervisor of his/her master thesis at SGH and TUB will appoint the reviewer. For supervising the student’s master thesis the student always needs to have a supervisor and a reviewer one from each university.
Examination regulations and awarding the degrees
- During the studies of SGH students at TUB, the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung) of TUB apply in the current version.
- During the studies of TUB students at SGH, the examination regulations of SGH apply in the current version.
- Both partner institutions will hand out a transcript of records in English to students. The Transcript of Records is an official inventory of the courses taken, the achieved number of ECTS credit points, and national grades earned by the students throughout their stay in the host institution. Details of the grading schemes can be found in Appendix II.
- Awarding the degrees: After successful completion of the complete program at both universities, the students receive the Master Degree of both universities, that is, the Magister in “Management” of SGH, and the Master of Science in “Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship” of TUB.
Selection and documents
- The agreement applies to TUB students and SGH students who received a Bachelor degree in social sciences, economy, management, or engineering and who are well-versed in the English language.
- Both parties guarantee that participants of the dual degree program will be selected according to their academic, personal, and linguistic qualifications. To enter the dual degree master program, students first have to be admitted to the Master Program in IME or MM, respectively, at their home institution. Not later than in their first year, students can apply for the dual degree master program. Applications are evaluated first by the home institution and then presented to the partner institution (which will become the student's host institution) for review and approval. To be admitted to the program, students must meet all graduate admission policies at both institutions, and must have advisors who agree to advise them at both institutions. The language requirement for the SGH course is English B2 or higher (according to Common European Framework).
- Up to 10 students are to be accepted by the host institution per year. This number can be raised upon a formal agreement between the partners TUB and SGH.
Documents required from SGH students include:
- Application form – filled in on computer not by hand [application for certain academic year is always published on DD's website during the application period]
- CV of the Applicant in the Europass format (document available at the following website http://europass.frse.org.pl/europass-cv in English – max. 1 page)
- Motivation letter (in English – max. 1 page)
- Copy of the BA diploma [if available]
- Official course transcript (issued by the Dean's Office) with grades received incl. the courses not yet finished
- Document certifying fluency in English (either SGH competence test or commercial language certificate or diploma of graduating from secondary school or studies in foreign language). The list of recognised certificates can be found on the website of double degrees
- First draft of the study programme based on the plan of studies of the double degree (preferred field of study/study path, list of academic interests, etc.)
Application procedures to apply to TUB are described on the website of the partner.